Looking for Meibomian Gland Dysfunction treatments? MGD is a common eye condition that many people don’t even realize they have, but it can pose significant discomfort in your everyday life. Meibomian Gland Dysfunction is a problem with the glands in your eyelids that make up the oil layer of tears. As these glands clog, less oil reaches the eye surface, which can result in burning, itching, dryness and irritation and can get worse over time. Luckily, the latest treatment for dry eye syndrome, EverTears® from ThermaMEDx, addresses these symptoms so you can get relief from dry eyes for good.
What is Meibomian Gland Dysfunction?
Meibomian Gland Dysfunction, or MGD, is one of the most common eye conditions in the world, affecting over 300 million people. It occurs when meibomian glands, the dozens of tiny glands in the eyelids that produce the protective oil layer of your tear film, get clogged. Clogged meibomian glands can’t deliver enough oil to coat the tear film and prevent evaporation of vital tear moisture. And when your eyes are losing too much moisture, you experience symptoms of dry eye syndrome.
There are several factors that lead to MGD, including aging, hormonal changes in women, the use of eye cosmetics and excessive use of digital devices like smart phones, computers or tablets. Obstructive MGD, where meibomian glands get clogged and reduce the flow of meibum oil, is the most common form of the condition. If left untreated, obstructive MGD tends to get progressively worse as less oil reaches the surface of the eye. While MGD is the most common cause of dry eye syndrome, or dry eye disease, MGD can also contribute to other conditions like blepharitis, or inflammation along the rims of the eyelids.
So who is most likely to need Meibomian Gland Dysfunction treatments? Although anyone can develop MGD, women are at twice the risk in part due to the use of eye cosmetics and hormonal changes during pregnacy or menopause. Age also plays a factor as the number of meibomian glands reduces over time. People who wear contact lenses are more likely to complain of dry eyes related to MGD, as well as those with other common medical issues like:
- High cholesterol and triglycerides
- Bacterial infections
- Autoimmune conditions like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and rosacea
- Allergic conjunctivitis
- Damaged or inflamed cornea
What are symptoms of MGD to look for?
Worried you may have MGD? This progressive disease is hard to spot at first, but symptoms generally worsen over time. MGD related dry eye symptoms range from mild to severe, and include:
- Eyes that are dry, painful, red, swollen, burning, gritty or itchy
- Watery eyes, especially when around fans and air conditioning
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Eyes that are tender to the touch
- Red, painful styes on the eyelids
How can you treat MGD?
Fortunately, there are effective treatments for MGD that involve the application of precise heat and regular cleaning of the eyelids. Several recent medical publications indicated that medical device innovator, ThermaMEDx, offers the latest treatment for dry eye syndrome. EverTears® is doctor-recommended and proven to safely reduce the symptoms of dry eye disease related to MGD.
How does EverTears® work?
Proper lid hygiene is essential for treating MGD and dry eye disease. Your Meibomian Gland Dysfunction treatment plan will include a warm compress applied once or twice per day. Doctors recommend the innovative new EverTears® combination warm eye compress and pre-moistened cloth cleaning pad to provide instant precise heat and gentle eyelid cleaning. Invented by world-renowned doctors at ThermaMEDx, EverTears® provides moist heat at exactly the right temperature needed to unclog the meibomian glands in a compress designed to fit the contour of the eye to focus the heat precisely on the eyelids to melt solidified oils in the meibomian glands. This FDA registered Class I medical device brings together all the elements recognized by doctors as the standard of care for MGD in one convenient and affordable package that you can use at home or on the go.
Returns and Cancellations
- ThermaMEDx will replace or refund purchase price including any shipping and tax fees. Simply email [email protected] and let us know the circumstances. Please have your order number (if purchased via our website or Amazon) or proof of purchase/receipt if purchased at a doctor's office.
- All consumer orders are fulfilled by Amazon and typically ship within 1 day after order. In high demand periods where inventory may be temporarily out of stock at a nearby Amazon Fulfillment Center, an order may take an additional period to be shipped by Amazon. Please review your order confirmation email and shipping confirmation email for tracking information to contact Amazon about lost/delayed shipments or email us at [email protected]
- All orders for doctors offices are fulfilled by WVA. Please review your order confirmation and shipping confirmation emails for tracking information and contact the shipping company (e.g. UPS, USPS) directly to inquire about a delayed or missing delivery. If the delivery is not made, please email [email protected].
- You can cancel an upcoming autoship order anytime by clicking onto your account tab or by emailing [email protected] at least 3 days prior to the scheduled order ship date. You can also change the date and frequency of future shipments.